Today my coworker Brie asked me,
“What do you value most in a design leader?”
I think a good design director/boss/manager/leader is someone who:
- Leads by example.
- Sets and upholds a high bar of design quality.
- Has an efficient & high performing team.
- Actively works on growing each designer.
- Knows the strengths & weaknesses of each designer and assigns them work that is compatible but challenging.
- Knows the difference between guiding and prescribing.
- Is resilient and can lead through change.
- Knows when to listen and when to instruct.
- Can manage up as well as down.
- Gives both praise and critical feedback.
What did I miss?
Leave a Reply